How fun is it to make Christmas ornaments! I think it´s one of my favorite crafts.
DIY ornaments are quick to make and you can be very creative. It´s also a great way to renew the Christmas decor at almost no cost.
[ This post probably contains affiliate links, our full disclosure policy is really boring, but you can read it HERE ]
If like me you enjoy changing your Christmas decoration every year, handmade ornaments are something you may consider to keep costs under control.
This serie of paper ornaments is no exception. I show you how to create 12 different ornament designs using just a cardboard sheet.
If you like, you can finish the ornaments by adding beads or tassels for a little extra fun.
I worked with a large gold cardboard sheet. You can use any color you like, and you can make most of the ornament with US letter size paper.
It´s one of the more economical DIY ornament ideas you can find…Well, maybe except for the DIY toilet paper rolls ornaments!
RELATED: Easy to make Felt Christmas Ornaments patterns
RELATED: How to make a paper gift bag
DIY Christmas ornaments with Paper
You will only need a few supplies to make these easy decorations
- Cardstock paper
- A glue gun (or this)
- Beads (this pack will be perfect)
- Twine rope
All the ornaments are made with strips of paper of 1/2 inch width (1.5 cm).
The first step is to cut your paper into a few strips, so once you start crafting your ornaments you can make several in a row.
I used a large paper sheet (size A1) because I like the old gold color of it. You can work with regular US paper sizes for most of the ornaments. Some decorations, like the Christmas tree, required longer paper strips. You can cut them out on an A3 sheet or just glue two strips in a row to have the needed length.
RELATED: How to make a Christmas gingerbread village with cardboard
RELATED: Christmas Tree Pillow
Every ornament required a different number of stips of different length.
To make the ornaments you can watch the video tutorial. The video includes the full step-by-step and the strip measures.
If you like to have a quick view of the strips measures you need to make each ornament you can scroll down for the information.
These old-fashioned paper Christmas ornaments are my favorite ones.
Here goes the strips dimensions for one each one of these ornaments:
- Top left ornament: 1 strip of 4 in. (10 cm), 4 strips of 5in. (12 cm)
- Top right ornament: 1 strip of 4 in. (10 cm), 1 strip of 5 in. (12 cm), 1 strip of 6 in. (15 cm), 1 strip of 8 1/2 in. (22 cm)
- Bottom ornament: 1 strip of 3 in. (8 cm), 2 strips of 4in. (10 cm), 2 strips of 5 1/2 in. (14 cm)
You can also craft some cute and classic Christmas ornaments. I like that the wooden beads and the tassels make them look more elegant.
Here are the strips dimensions for one each of these ornaments above:
- Top right: 6 strips of 8 in. (21 cm)
- Middle left: 4 strips of 8 in. (21 cm)
- Bottom right: 1 strip of 3 in. (7 cm), 1 strip of 4 in. (10 cm), 1 strip of 5 1/2 in. (14 cm), 1 strip of 7 in. (17 cm), 1 strip of 9 in. (23 cm), 1 strip of 11 in. (28 cm)
These paper decorations are also great ornaments to make with kids. No doubt that they will like to make some angel or Christmas tree.
If you like to make this Christmas project with children, you can use this glue instead of a glue gun (which may not be safe for kiddos).
Find the measures for these ornaments below:
- Angel ornament: 1 strip of 3 in. (7 cm), 1 strip of 5 in. (12 cm), 1 strip of 8 in. (20 cm)
- Christmas tree ornament: 1 strip of 12 in. (30 cm), 1 strip of 15 in. (40 cm)
- Mistletoe ornament: 5 strips of 5 in. (12 cm), 4 strips of 6 in. (15 cm)
For the last batch of ornaments, we have some cute shapes, I think the star ornament is also one of my favorite. Sharing the strip measure for each one of these ornaments below.
- Star ornament: 8 strips of 6 in. (15 cm)
- Heart ornament: 1 strip of 8 in. (20 cm), 1 strip of 9 1/2 in. (24 cm), 1 strip of 11 in. (28 cm)
- Flower ornament: 16 strips of 4 in. (12 cm)
I hope you like these ornaments and that you will find inspiration to create differents shapes.
I like that they are quick and easy to make, with a few sheets of cardstock you can literally decorate your all tree.
You can choose the paper color you like to match your Christmas decor.
These paper ornaments are also unbreakable, which is great if you have toddlers or cats…or any other pet that likes to play in the Christmas tree.
RELATED: 25 easy DIY Scandinavian Christmas Ornaments
RELATED: How to make Christmas ornament with concrete
I decided to hang my ornament on a piece of rope and to create a cute garland with them. This is another example of what you can make with them.
I love to see what you make with my tutorials, so please share your creation with me on Instagram, tagging me using @ohoh.deco
Have fun crafting!
Want to remember it? Save these DIY paper ornaments ideas on your favorite Pinterest board.You will find all the tutorials featured in the video on my “Best DIY” page.